Simulation Process Engineer-NPI Manufacturing
Louisville, KY, United States
| ID: REQ-13543
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Simulation Process Engineer-NPI Manufacturing
The Simulation Engineer is a member of the AME (Advanced Manufacturing Engineering) Team supporting New Product Introduction (NPI), Cost-Out and Plant Productivity projects. This critical position is key to continuing successful NPI launches. Applicants for this role need to have strong assembly and work station design knowledge. The AME shall develop, manage and execute factory simulations for high volume manufacturing process projects to meet required budget and launch schedules.
The AME is a key liaison between NPI programs and the factory operations teams; ensuring plant priorities and objectives are clearly understood and considered. This includes providing input for digital design for automated manufacturability, applying lean principles to process designs and transferring process knowledge to the applicable factory personnel. This position is located in Louisville, KY with some (25%) travel to one of four manufacturing sites in the southeastern US. Relocation assistance may be offered.
What you will Do
- The Simulation Engineer will analyze system throughput bottleneck and make design improvement recommendations based on different experiments for the best and most cost effective solutions to the program during the design phase.
- Develop discrete event simulation models for various parts of various assembly lines.
- Work with manufacturing engineering and production teams to identify production constraints.
- Utilize discrete event simulation software to plan and optimize assembly lines and processes prior to execution.
- Optimize plant layout by analyzing throughput capabilities, bottlenecks, and buffer sizing, and material routing.
- Support decision making on process layout through the use of data.
- Work with Advanced Manufacturing Engineers and Plant engineers to identify, scope, and execute projects on existing processes to improve inefficiencies.
- Work with operations and LEAN teams to understand the Value Stream and how projects impact this.
- Ensure material flow, tooling setup, model mix, etc. are considered when equipment/process is designed.
- Work cross-functionally with the test & controls and Factory Information Systems engineers to understand and optimize the logic within the targeted factory areas.
- Perform value-stream analysis through the use of simulations.
- Aggregate and incorporate key production metrics including downtime from various process owners and exercise the model to suggest improvements.
- Incorporate statistical variation, uncertainty and impact of unplanned events to overall output
- This position studies the plant equipment layouts, gathers all the pertinent data required to build a model that will accurately identify bottleneck areas and guide the launch team to the right areas for throughput improvements.
- Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how projects are impacted.
- Ensure material flow, workstation set up, model mix, etc. are considered.
What you need to Succeed
- BS Engineering degree in Mechatronics, Mechanical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering
- Knowledge in one of the following areas and some experience at least two other areas: standardized work, assembly line design, work station design
- Experience with Emulate3D and/or Siemens Tecnomatix software (Plant Simulate and Process Simulate) is highly preferred.
- Prior NPI program experience.
- PLC programming and robotics experience is highly preferred
- Six Sigma Certification
- Proficient in MS Office, MS Scheduler (or equivalent) and AutoCAD
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent hands on experience in technical/manufacturing disciplines
- Prior experience in manufacturing simulation software.
- Experience with factory, equipment or assembly line controls logic.
- Working knowledge of industrial controls software and coding structure for ladder logic, structured text and function blocks
- Experience with manufacturing engineering/production engineering projects in a fast-paced, high volume manufacturing environment
- 4 plus years of experience with manufacturing engineering/production engineering projects and process improvement.
- Strong mathematical/statistical analysis skills including statistical analysis and simulation skills.
- Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation set up, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment are designed.
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
- Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
- Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team.
- Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company.
- Working conditions are normal for a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
- These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
- This position is located in Louisville, KY with some (25%) travel to one of four manufacturing sites in the southeastern US.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social