USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Manager, Manufacturing Operations (1st Shift)
As the Manager, Manufacturing Operations, you will lead, coach and develop an assembly manufacturing area within the plant, including Team Leaders and hourly production team members, to ensure high performance and continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
What you will Do
MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS: Provides support to the Business Leader by leading the operational and improvement activities of an assigned production area within the value stream.
- Direct Reports include Team Leaders & Hourly Production team members
- Responsible for operational performance and improvement of key metrics including safety, quality, delivery, cost and morale. Align area metrics with overall department/value stream goals; organize resources to deliver on these metrics.
- Oversee the daily start-up of production area. Ensure line is properly staffed and manage staffing throughout the day; monitor expected and unexpected absenteeism. Review daily plan with Team Leaders.
- Ensure production line boards are completed in a timely manner. Utilize production line boards to collect information on area performance, issue identification and problem resolution. Ensure information is passed on to the following shift and management.
- Maintain a good technical knowledge of operations; follow the escalation process to address and respond to abnormalities and recommend corrective action as required.
- Act as a first responder to Team Leaders and production team members within the production area. Facilitate delegation of issues to appropriate level in escalation process.
- Ensure the Lean manufacturing practices and Escalation Process set forth under the Appliance Production System are followed and adhered to within the value stream manufacturing operations.
- Attend daily production meetings and cascade necessary information to Team Leaders. Lead and maintain rigor around daily Team Leader meetings, escalation meetings, etc. Communicate key issues to leadership team at the daily production meeting.
- Oversee the deployment of standardized work within the value stream operation. Ensure process stability through following standardized work. Coach and develop Team Leaders and team members to ensure standardized work is in place and is followed.
- Ensure adherence to Job Instruction method by reviewing and verifying Job Instruction forms, including cross training matrix, and Team Leader delivery of four step method to ensure ‘Critical Points’ and ‘Why’ are conveyed accurately and effectively.
- Ensure 5S standards are met for the area.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: Live, promote and teach the Appliance Production System philosophy and drive continuous improvement within assigned production area.
- Lead work team to react aggressively to factory inefficiencies. Drive problem-solving and root cause identification of problems for the production area. Engage all members of escalation team to address and resolve problems, ex. PIE, quality, facilities engineer, etc.
- Support the Business Leader in managing a cross-functional team (PIE’s, Team Leaders, Kaizen Promotion Officers and other Lean resources) to continuously identify and work to reduce waste in the area for both short term and long term improvement initiatives.
- Serve as a first responder within the escalation process for problems/issues within the value stream operation.
- Participate in meetings to review department issues. Assist in prioritizing and assigning ownership for open items in assigned production area. Track items to closure and ensure follow-up with key stakeholders.
- Champion kaizen events within department. Ensure related countermeasures are implemented on manufacturing line(s).
- Participate in the planning and execution of work area rebalancing utilizing Yamazumi charts.
LEADERSHIP & ADMINISTRATION: Provide active day-to-day leadership, work direction and support for a manufacturing team within a production area.
- Partner with site Human Resources team to ensure fair and consistent administration of all policies, work rules and processes.
- Oversee line staffing and allocate employees to cover absenteeism.
- Complete job postings as needed.
- Complete timecards daily and ensure employees receive appropriate pay for time worked. Ensure upgrades are properly coded, leave types are identified and overtime is properly calculated.
- Identify and communicate Overtime needs. When applicable, acquire overtime help and accurately apply overtime guidelines; ensure correct overtime lists are posted at all times.
- Lead employee disciplinary investigation and action as appropriate. Partner with HR to conduct timely investigations when necessary. Complete accurate and thorough disciplinary records with supporting documentation.
- Ensure attendance discipline is issued in a timely manner and consistent with the Attendance Policy.
- Distribute written communications in a timely fashion.
QUALITY: Ensure the product produced on manufacturing line is defect-free and produced according to specification.
- Ensure all quality processes/standards are followed within assigned production area.
- Monitor quality issues on a daily basis and drives the resolution or escalation for any defect.
- Ensure Team Leaders include quality standards in Standardized Work to meet design intent and build in quality.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders to address and solve production line quality issues (i.e. Team Leader, engineering, quality).
- Monitor scrap data/reports to drive resolution of scrap issues and work projects to prevent future scrap.
- Partner with Plant Quality and Engineering staff to drive improvements in First Pass Yield and Service Call Rate (SCR) metrics.
SAFETY: Responsible for the safety performance and metrics for the production area.
- Promote safety culture and ensure team’s compliance with safety rules and procedures, such as: PPE compliance, accident investigation within 24 hours, Safety Contacts and safe start participation.
- Lead and own accident investigation process to identify root cause and drive required corrective action(s). Log and close accident investigations in a timely manner.
- Manage the department's safety action item list, including corrective actions from near misses, accident reports & ergo assessments.
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelors degree required.
- Leadership experience and/or technical acumen within supply chain (i.e.: manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, materials, quality, procurement, fulfillment or related functional area.)
- Demonstrated experience working with individuals at all levels of the organization to achieve operational results and positive union relations.
- High level of initiative, energy and motivation to develop & grow in a team environment
- Organizational skills, initiative, and ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks.
- Strong technical competency & experience.
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving & follow-through ability.
- Ability to facilitate team projects.
- Position supports 24/7 manufacturing facilities. Occasional off shift, on call and weekend work may be required.
- Prior military experience will be considered towards experience requirements.
- BS/BA degree required, ideally in engineering, supply chain management or business.
- 5 years of leadership experience in an assembly manufacturing environment, supplier management and project implementation.
- Six Sigma certification preferred, with strong knowledge of Lean, DMAIC, workout and other change mechanisms.
- Demonstrated accomplishments showing results-driven methodology, analytical methods, schedule achievement, team work.
- Lean Manufacturing implementation experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and leadership influencing skills.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.