USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Senior Manager, Manufacturing Operations
Responsible for the overall operational plan, performance and improvement of an entire value stream operation within a manufacturing facility. Develop, lead and coach salaried and hourly team members to achieve high performance in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
What you will Do
MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS: Oversees manufacturing operations for an entire value stream within a plant.
- Own and prepare the annual operational plan/playbook for a manufacturing value stream. Responsible for operational performance and improvement of key metrics including safety, quality, delivery, cost and culture. Align area metrics with overall plant goals; organize resources to deliver on these metrics.
- Lead activities of cross-functional manufacturing team, to include responsibility for salaried and hourly team members within the assigned business unit.
- Direct Reports include Area Business Leader (ABL) and Process Improvement Engineer (PIE)
- Indirect Reports: Team Leader
- Utilize production line boards to collect information on value stream performance, issue identification and problem resolution. Ensure information is passed on to the following shift and management. Hold team accountable to maintain and manage the boards.
- Maintain a good technical knowledge of operations; follow the escalation process to address and respond to abnormalities and recommend corrective action as required.
- Ensure the Lean manufacturing practices and Escalation Process set forth under the Appliance Production System are followed and adhered to within the value stream manufacturing operations.
- Manage and track all department metrics and budget. Prepare daily report-out of metrics for production meeting.
- Establish daily operating rhythm in department. Conduct daily start up meeting with TL's and ABL's. Maintain rigor around daily team leader meetings, escalation meetings, etc.
- Prepare topics for daily team meetings; ensure team leaders understand and cascade the message appropriately and correctly. Rotate through the team meetings each day.
- Oversee the deployment of standardized work within the value stream operation. Ensure process stability through following standardized work.
- Coach and develop Area Business Leaders, Process Improvement Engineers and Team Leaders to ensure standardized work is in place and is followed.
- Ensure adherence to Job Instruction method by reviewing and verifying Job Instruction forms, including cross training matrix, and Team Leader delivery of four step method to ensure ‘Critical Points’ and ‘Why’ are conveyed accurately and effectively.
- Ensure 5S standards are met for the entire value stream.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: Live, promote and teach the Appliance Production System philosophy and drive continuous improvement within the value stream operation.
- Lead and promote work team(s) that react aggressively to factory inefficiencies. Drive problem-solving and root cause identification of problems for the entire value stream.
- Engage all members of cross-functional escalation team to address and resolve problems, ex. Area Business Leaders, Team Leaders, Kaizen Promotion Officers and other Lean resources
- Continuously identify and work to reduce waste in the area for both short term and long term improvement initiatives.
- Serve as a second-level responder within the escalation process for problems/issues within the value stream operation.
- Lead regular meetings to review department issues. Prioritize and assign ownership for open items. Track items to closure and ensure follow-up with key stakeholders.
- Champion kaizen events within department. Ensure related countermeasures are implemented on manufacturing line(s).
- Oversee the planning and execution of work area rebalancing utilizing Yamazumi charts.
LEADERSHIP. Provide active day-to-day leadership for a highly energized, integrated, cross-functional manufacturing team.
- Create goals for each member of the team. Ensure individual career coaching, performance feedback, employee training and talent development. Participate in the annual performance review process.
- Lead employee disciplinary investigation and action as appropriate. Partner with HR to conduct timely investigations when necessary. Complete accurate and thorough disciplinary records with supporting documentation.
- Recruit resources to fill team needs in a timely fashion.
- Develop and mentor future leaders for the business.
- Partner with site Human Resources team to ensure fair and consistent administration of all policies, work rules and processes.
QUALITY: Ensure the products produced within the entire value stream operation are defect-free and produced according to specifications.
- Ensure Manufacturing Control Plan (MCP) and all quality processes/standards are followed within entire value stream.
- Monitor manufacturing processes, data & reports on a daily basis and drive the resolution or escalation for any defect.
- Ensure Team Leaders and PIE’s include quality standards in Standardized Work to meet design intent and build in quality.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders to address and solve production line quality issues (i.e. Team Leader, engineering, quality).
- Monitor scrap data/reports to drive resolution of scrap issues and work projects to prevent future scrap.
- Partner with Plant Quality staff and engineering to drive improvements in key quality metrics, including First Pass Yield, Overall Yield and Service Call Rate (SCR) metrics.
SAFETY: Responsible for the overall safety performance and metrics for the value stream operation.
- Promote a strong safety-minded culture in the value stream. Maintain an active safety program, ensuring the observation of safety precautions and safe work methods by all personnel, including behavior-based safety observations, safety meetings, safety audits and 5S housekeeping standards.
- Enforce compliance to safety rules and procedures, timely accident investigations, Safety Contacts and Safe Start participation.
- Review and sign off on all accident investigations. Ensure they are completed in a timely manner and identify root cause and corrective action to drive required changes.
- Manage the department's safety action item list, including corrective actions from near misses, accident reports & ergo assessments.
What you need to Succeed
- Must have the ability to teach, to facilitate meetings, to provide constructive feedback and listen actively.
- Must be able to identify, analyze and resolve problems in multi-functional settings.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills to coach and lead high involvement work teams.
- Must have demonstrated skills in achievement of business goals and change implementation.
- BS/BA degree required, ideally in engineering, supply chain management or business.
- Leadership experience and/or technical acumen within supply chain (ie: manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, materials, quality, procurement, fulfillment or related functional area).
- BS Engineering (IE, ME or EE) or equivalent.
- 7 years of experience in manufacturing/plant operations.
- Black Belt/MBB certification with strong knowledge of Lean, DMAIC, workout and other change mechanisms.
- Demonstrated accomplishments showing results-driven methodology, analytical methods, schedule achievement, team work.
- Lean Manufacturing implementation experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and leadership influencing skills.
- Working conditions are normal for both an office and manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 25 pounds.
- Working in the manufacturing environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to: safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, work shoes/boots.
- Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.