Senior Materials Engineer/LEAN Materials Strategist
Other, AL, United States
| Manufacturing (Group)
| ID: REQ-13992
USA, Decatur, AL
Other AL US, Other MS US
Job Posting Title
Senior Materials Engineer/LEAN Materials Strategist
The Senior Materials Engineer/LEAN Materials Strategist will be a member of the Central Materials team. The position will reengineer to optimize space, transportation, equipment, and conveyance within the manufacturing and inbound warehouses. In addition, they will be responsible for supporting the Central Materials team in developing and execution of lean material flow processes and systems and provide creative and forward thinking to the automation of material flow process including supply base capabilities, material handling and material control systems.
What you will Do
Essential results-based duties
- Support the Materials team at Decatur Plant in developing and executing strategies for LEAN material flow processes and systems including the automation of material flow.
- Ability to work with outsourced resources including 3PL’s to lead them in world class processes.
- Provide creative and forward thinking to the material flow process including supply base capabilities, material handling and material control systems.
- Evaluate processes in all areas of material handling and optimizes those process before implementing automation.
- Analyze economic factors when developing alternatives to propose a maximized solution and optimize total cost.
- Ability to develop, launch and validate projects focused on material automation and coordinate with other sites.
- Work with selected suppliers to ensure project schedules are met and within the defined budget while meeting all success factors.
- Continually research new technology solutions to improve the supply chain.
Standards and Compliance:
- Ensure all equipment executed in GEA factories comply with Industry and Governmental Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) standards.
- Utilize Human Organizational Performance (HOP) principles to ensure that all equipment / tooling / processes are implemented with the health and safety of the operators in mind.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure equipment & processes support business initiatives of Bill of Materials (BoM), Lean Manufacturing, Ergonomic Design and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM).
Cross-functional Work and Leadership:
- Work with manufacturing and warehouse operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation setup, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment is designed.
- Develop a strong working relationship with Material Management leadership at all facilities supported.
- Work cross functionally to eliminate waste in the supply chain including the integration of material automation with manufacturing processes.
- Deliver guidance, and training for cross-functional team members about material flow. Provide documentation and training to maintenance and shop floor personnel.
- Utilize technical and project experience to add to the APS (Appliance Production System) and CM teams’ body of knowledge to drive continuous improvement throughout the organization and company.
- Work with manager on other duties as assigned.
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelor of Science Degree is required.
- 5+ years hands on experience with distribution, logistics or supply chain including experience in Lean Supply Chain production method.
- Prior experience working with FANUC robots and automation.
- Strong computer knowledge including, Python, Robotic Languages, ACAD and MS Office
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline is desired.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering: Industrial Engineering or Supply Chain Management is a plus.
- Prior experience working in a high SKU and high velocity manufacturing operations.
- Very creative talent with a proven ability to look past what is currently done and develop a practical, implementable vision for future with a strong history of executing to vision.
- Knowledge of manufacturing and distribution warehouse operations.
- Excellent project tracking and detailed planning skills required
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
- Good oral and written communication skills – will be expected to provide status report outs to cross-functional team and train other engineers
- Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Auto Cad, and Outlook
- Working conditions are normal for a high-volume distribution environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
- These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
- 10% travel may be for domestic and/or international travel to supplier sites/ plants, etc.
- Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends will be required occasionally.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social