The GEA Way
At GE Appliances, a Haier company, we come together to make “good things, for life.” As the fastest-growing appliance company in the U.S., we’re powered by creators, thinkers and makers who believe that anything is possible and that there’s always a better way. We believe in the power of our people and in giving them the freedom to explore, discover and build good things, together.
The GEA Way philosophy, backed by three simple commitments defines the way we work, invent, create, do business, and serve our communities: we come together, we always look for a better way, and we create possibilities.
Interested in joining us on our journey?
As the Senior Manager, Materials you will be responsible for the overall operational plan, performance and improvement of an entire value stream operation (Material Flow & Delivery). You will develop, drive and coach salaried and hourly team members to achieve high performance in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
Senior Manager, Materials
USA, LaFayette, GA
How You'll Create Possibilities
OPERATIONS: Oversees operations for an entire value stream (Material Flow & Delivery) within a plant.
- Provide leadership and expertise for the plant Material Flow team. Oversees a team of 5 salaried professionals and 115 hourly team members across multiple shifts
- Own and prepare the annual Hoshin and operational playbook for the Material flow and delivery area. Responsible for operational performance and improvement of key metrics
- Champion the implementation of additional material flow automation equipment and routes
- Maintain a good technical understanding of Materials and Operations; follow the escalation process to address and respond to abnormalities and recommend corrective action as required
- Ensure the Lean manufacturing practices and escalation processes are followed and adhered to
- Manage and track all department metrics and budget. Prepare daily report-out of metrics for production meeting
- Establish daily operating rhythm within the Materials team. Conduct daily start up meetings with ABL's. Maintain rigor around daily team leader meetings, escalation meetings, etc
- Coach and develop the team to ensure standardized work is deployed and utilized
- Lead plant material flow & supplier management plans in support of the Appliance Production System (APS). Own packaging plans, shop floor flow, material handling automation, and supermarket implementation
- Proactively drive continuous improvement materials programs utilizing Lean/Six Sigma methodologies and practices
- Ensure 5S standards are met for the entire value stream
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: Live, promote and teach the Appliance Production System philosophy and drive continuous improvement within the value stream operation.
- Pioneer and promote work team(s) that react proactively to factory inefficiencies. Drive problem-solving and root cause identification of problems for the entire value stream
- Engage all members of cross-functional escalation team to address and resolve problems, ex. Area Business Heads, Team Leaders, Kaizen Promotion Officers and other Lean resources
- Continuously identify and work to reduce waste in the area for both short term and long-term improvement initiatives
- Serve as a second-level responder within the escalation process for problems/issues within the value stream operation
- Head up regular meetings to review department issues. Prioritize and assign ownership for open items. Track items to closure and ensure follow-up with key stakeholders
- Promote kaizen events within department. Ensure related countermeasures are implemented on manufacturing line(s)
- Oversee the planning and execution of work area rebalancing utilizing Yamazumi charts.
LEADERSHIP: Provide effective day-to-day oversight for a highly energized, integrated, cross-functional manufacturing team.
- Create goals for each member of the team. Ensure one-on-one career coaching, performance feedback, team member training, and talent development. Participate in the annual performance review process
- Steer team member disciplinary investigation and action as appropriate. Partner with HR to conduct timely investigations when necessary. Complete accurate and thorough disciplinary records with supporting documentation
- ·Recruit resources to fill team needs in a timely fashion
- Develop and mentor future leaders for the business
- Partner with site Human Resources team to ensure fair and consistent administration of all policies, work rules, and processes
QUALITY: Ensure the products produced within the entire value stream operation are defect-free and produced according to specifications.
- Monitor manufacturing processes, data & reports daily and drive the resolution or escalation for any issues
- Work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders to address and solve delivery issues (i.e., Team Leader, engineering, manufacturing, transportation, quality)
- Monitor scrap and downtime data/reports to drive resolution of issues and work projects to prevent future issues
- Partner with the Lean team and the Central Materials team to drive improvements in key metrics and to implement new initiatives
SAFETY: Responsible for the overall safety performance and metrics for the value stream operation.
- Promote a solid safety-minded culture in the value stream. Maintain an effective safety program, ensuring the observation of safety precautions and safe work methods by all personnel, including behavior-based safety observations, safety meetings, safety audits, and 5S housekeeping standards
- Enforce compliance to safety rules and procedures, timely accident investigations, Safety Contacts, and Safe Start participation
- Review and sign off on all accident investigations. Ensure they are completed promptly and identify the root cause and corrective action to drive necessary changes
- Manage the department's safety item list, including corrective actions from near misses, accident reports & ergo assessments
What You'll Bring to Our Team
- BS/BA degree required, ideally in engineering, supply chain management or business
- Leadership experience and/or technical acumen within supply chain (i.e.: manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, materials, quality, procurement, fulfillment or related functional area)
- Demonstrated experience working with individuals at all levels of the organization to achieve operational results and positive union relations
- High level of initiative, energy and motivation to develop & grow in a team environment
- Organizational skills, initiative, and ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks
- Strong technical competency & experience
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving & follow-through ability
- Ability to facilitate team projects
- Position supports 24/7 manufacturing facilities. Occasional off shift, on call and weekend work may be required
- Working conditions are normal for both an office and manufacturing environment
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 25 pounds
- Working in the manufacturing environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to: safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, work shoes/boots
At GE Appliances, creativity meets passion and conversations lead to exceptional outcomes and experiences. We respect and value the unique backgrounds and experiences that everyone brings to GE Appliances. We believe a diverse workplace, where everyone is included and people can be their true and authentic selves, fosters creativity and innovation. We know our differences are our greatest strength. The very best innovations across every function of a company come from diverse teams. Our commitment to ensuring a safe and inclusive workplace where everyone is valued allows employees to perform at their best, every day. Diversity at GE Appliances helps us achieve zero distance to our owners, innovate smartly and connect to the communities and customers we serve. We encourage and support the ideas, aspirations, and the wellbeing of everyone - our employees and our communities
GE Appliances is a trust-based organization. It is important we offer our employees the flexibility they need to do their best work while balancing the needs of the business and individuals. When you join GEA, you will have the opportunity to work with your leader to create a flexible work arrangement that balances the needs of the individual, team, and organization.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply, please send an e-mail to [email protected]