USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Director, IT SmartHome & IOT
The Director, IT SmartHome & IOT is responsible for setting the strategic vision for the architecture, design and implementation of GEA’s Smart Appliances cloud features. GEA is on a Digital Enterprise journey and this role will help with the Digital thread that starts from design in Engineering, then through the supply chain, into service and closing the loop with Connected data that will drive innovation and design and engineering back into our products. This is a forward-looking role as GEA embarks on becoming the IOT leader and the best Smart Appliance company in the US. This role will enable the strategy and deployment of new business models and smart features across the Home and Management areas of SmartHQ. This leader is responsible for people leadership of the DT team that maintains, supports, and grows the DT tools and systems used to enable our smart features in the area of Connected appliances. This is a highly specialized technical team and the leader for this area should be able to strategize, understand and help deploy complex technical solutions that will create competitive advantage, enable and implement new revenue models with product differentiation. The leader will be challenged to drive innovation and engagement with functional owners and product line leaders to develop and deploy features that will drive Digital revenues. This role will have to partner with other leaders within the DT organization to leverage enterprise tools and processes to make sure we are delivering large scale enterprise solutions.
What you will Do
IOT Applications – Strategy & Stake Holder Management
- Creating and delivering short term and long term IOT Applications and capability blueprints. Will partner closely with the functional and leadership stakeholders to develop these roadmaps
- Develop strong working relationships with the Vice President of SmartHome Solutions, Product line leaders, Platform leaders and functional teams
- Leverage and demonstrate influential leadership and negotiation skills with stakeholders to prioritize work
- Represent the IOT Cloud Applications team in the Digital Connected Council
- Engage in identifying strategic IOT vendor relationships to take advantage and build IOT cloud ecosystem partners to increase our competitive advantage through product differentiation, new revenue models & partnerships
- Partner with the Finance and functional organizations making sure we are on target for the team's financial commitments.
- Partner with other functional teams within GEA to make sure the digital thread traverses through various areas and data generated from our Appliances drives product improvements & designs
- Develop and partner with stakeholders to deliver and enable the IOT and AI/ML strategy
IOT Applications - Innovation
- Develop consumer centric thinking in the team and across the GEA business
- Develop the capability roadmaps for SmartHQ - Home and Management areas
- Partner with business counterparts across all Product lines and Micro enterprises to conceive and implement innovative SmartHome IOT features and experiences.
- Drive innovation to create new business models and enable new commercial options around Digital goods, subscription services and data monetization
- Identify innovative monetizing opportunities in the SmartHome solutions area and helping usher Digital revenues to GE Appliances.
IOT Applications – Service Delivery
- Provide leadership to drive effective service delivery processes and ensure we are meeting our targets on project/program completion
- Develop and refine strong project management processes around requirements gathering, forecasting, prioritization, Scrums, testing and hypercare.
- Delivers on strategic platform execution for Production Systems and Operations
- Proactively drive the prioritization, budgeting, business engagement/support, and resource planning of IT work to support business objectives and key initiatives.
- Negotiate with various stakeholders on priorities and effectively manage resource allocation. Proactively anticipate resource shortages and develop augmentation plans
- Partner with business team to help ensuring DT is enabling next generation Connected Appliances technologies and business models.
- Serve as a key member on the Connected Council representing DT regarding infrastructure, security, and application capabilities and funnel the needs to the teams
- Build strong relationships with Business leaders driving cross functional support for strategic vision, enabling change.
- Engage external DT teams to ensure effective project delivery and drive simplification of business processes.
IOT Applications - Team Leadership
- Responsible for people management activities including recruiting, development, performance management, compensation, organization, and staffing.
- Provide leadership, coaching, support and development opportunities to develop a strong advanced Smart home solutions team.
- Ensure team members are executing to GE Appliance’s strategy and developing cloud and front end solutions that support the business’ growth goals
- Develop and ensure employee capability through performance management processes, Goal setting, Development plans, talent reviews, training, and development with effective staffing decisions.
- Ensure that the organization has the required skills and capabilities within the connected appliances software domain. Highlights resource gaps and plan mitigation strategies
- Become the cheer leader and champion for the team and build a great image for the team with the DT leadership and stakeholders
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Ten (10) years of prior relevant experience in roles of increasing responsibility within software architecture, development and design.
- 3 plus years’ experience leading an global software engineering or product development team or related team(s) with experience operating at a senior manager-level.
- Must be able to elevate the way we run the business and demonstrate transformational business change that positively impacts our customers and the business.
- Possess advanced technical depth and knowledge of public cloud, database, integrations, network, compute and storage.
- Experience in leading teams that innovate and develop new digital products
- Worked with Agile and DevOps teams that are spread across time zones and a mix of both employees and contractors
- Understands and operates at an enterprise-wide level; aligns priorities with broader goals, measures outcomes – metrics driven, uses feedback to change as needed, evaluates alternatives, solutions oriented, seeks alternatives and broad input; can see connections within complex issues.
- Strong ability to influence and guide executive-level managers and reconcile, integrate competing interests.
- Proven ability to drive cross-functional, transformational changes that impact multiple functions while making the right business tradeoffs. Data driven decision making skills.
- Demonstrates initiative and acts proactively. Possesses the self-discipline to take actions before they are necessary, optimism towards achieving positive outcome and the competitiveness to translate a plan into action.
- Strong problem solving, analytic, and project management skills. Goal-oriented and proactive in problem solving, coupled with creativity and a high energy level.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills. Proven ability to communicate a technical solution in a way that is easy to understand.
- Possess exceptional leadership skills; inclusive, people-focused technology leader who serves as mentor and coach to his/her team.
- Avid learner and stays current on industry trends and best practices.
- Master's Degree in Business, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- Twelve (12) years of prior relevant experience in roles of increasing responsibility within software engineering, infrastructure, architecture and design.
- 6 plus years’ experience leading an software/product development or related team(s) with experience operating at a director-level.
- Previous experience with driving software development.
- Experience both with Agile and Waterfall methodologies. Ability to leverage, fast track to deliver with a sense of urgency.
- Cloud Architecture experience with public cloud vendors.
- Middleware and messaging development experience.
- Analytics experience with large amounts of real-time consumer data and methodologies for data monetization.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- 10% travel required for domestic and/or international travel to customer sites/ plants, etc.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.