Quality Improvement Engineer (3rd Shift)
Louisville, KY, United States
| ID: REQ-9534
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Quality Improvement Engineer (3rd Shift)
The Quality Improvement Engineer (QIE) executes operational and strategic efforts focused on product quality improvement, with primary oversight of the product/component testing and manufacturing control plan (MCP) auditing processes in an assigned manufacturing area.
What you will Do
- Drive yield and service call improvements in area of responsibility. Determine projects & quarterly goals to improve yield, scrap, service call rate.
- Collaborate with factory operations team to improve product quality through the identification and elimination of root cause of issues. Utilize Lean manufacturing concepts to facilitate the success and validation of manufacturing processes. Communicate opportunities and project status weekly and cross-functionally.
- Respond to abnormalities in product and component testing results.
- Coach Team Leaders to ensure escalation processes are followed for quality-related issues.
- Partner with plant operations personnel to promote a team that reacts aggressively to factory inefficiencies using data and trends, and escalates issues as necessary, to drive their resolution.
- Live, promote and support the Appliance Performance System (APS) philosophy and drive continuous improvement in the quality area.
- Work with Business team to prioritize funding/resources.
- Support workstation documentation process: create, update, and maintain Manufacturing Control Instructions (MCI’s), visual aid and alerts (single point lessons) as needed. Manage completed job instruction forms in typed format.
- Provide guidance to the broad New Product Introduction (NPI) team regarding manufacturing process capabilities for application to new designs, processes, or geometries. Evaluate and implement new testing technologies to support new product innovations, while improving outgoing quality.
- Own all aspects of product testing process, including data analysis to drive yield, service call, and scrap metrics as defined in goals & objectives. Drive escalation of product, process, part and/or tester issues. Ensure Manufacturing Control Plans and Instructions are followed and audit the test process & the pass/fail limits. Work with the operations and cost of quality team to drive immediate actions/projects to improve metrics. Own the Manufacturing Control Plan for the area. Conduct internal audits as scheduled.
- Oversee calibration and preventative maintenance of process validation of test equipment and gauges in area of responsibility.
- Work with change control team to coordinate deviations and issue change requests if changes are implemented. Work with design team to develop improved designs to error proof processes.
- Assist team with repairs, scrap approvals and recommendations.
- Analyze data as part of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and implement escalation plans. Create SPC for key metrics per the control plan. Monitor data trends and identify root cause if out of control and lead corrective actions.
- Lead DC Gun program in factory – Integration, Training, Improvement.
What you need to Succeed
- BS in Engineering
- Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Minitab and Outlook.
- Ability to work within large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members).
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated experience as a hands-on problem solver.
- Six Sigma Certified
- Quality Leadership experience
- Experience & training in Lean manufacturing practices
- Six Sigma training and experience
- Prior experience in a union environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Quality assurance experience (SPC, trend analysis, root cause, poke-yoke)
- Travel to suppliers and other manufacturing locations as needed
- Weekend work may be required as needed.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social