USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Senior Manager, Manufacturing Quality
The Quality Improvement Engineering Team (QIE) executes operational and strategic efforts focused on product and process quality improvement, including oversight of the product/component testing and manufacturing control plan (MCP) and associated auditing processes in an assigned manufacturing area.
The Senior Manager, Manufacturing Quality performs as an QIE Team Leader and is responsible for working cross-functionally with Operations Leaders, Process Improvement Engineers and AQE teams in developing and executing the overall strategy for reducing the cost of poor quality for plant support and assembly operations including– Paint, Stamping, Apron and Basket (assembly, seaming, tox). Leads team to execute projects and tasks supporting this effort. Establishes tasks and accountability at the appropriate level - both salaried and hourly.
Responsible for developing and refining all QMS components that support the efficient and reliable delivery and processing of materials from controlled processes. This includes risk mitigation associated with change to material, equipment and process.
Develops team expertise in the control of processes related to part / assembly / material CPCs. Builds expertise and engages experts in the evaluation, processing, measurement and controls of both materials and formed / finished components.
Additional responsible for developing the site specific strategy and supporting execution for the metrology / scanning efforts in AP1, tied strongly the product and factory QMS.
What you will Do
- Work with team to determine projects & quarterly goals to improve yield, scrap, issues impacting product performance and other COQ’s. Work with Support Operations Leader and PIE’s to prioritize effort / funding / resources.
- Partner with plant operations personnel to promote a team that reacts aggressively to identified factory process inefficiencies, part or assembly non-conformities and escalates issues as necessary, to contain and correct.
- Provide technical ownership to drive the development, procurement and implementation of factory quality measurement systems including gaging, test equipment, go/no-go decisions, scanning and coordinate measurement (CMM) measurement systems.
- Provide guidance to the broad New Product Introduction (NPI) team regarding manufacturing process capabilities for application to new designs, processes or geometries. Include selection of Critical to Quality characteristics (CTQs) to the vital few. Evaluate and implement new testing technologies to support new product innovations, while improving outgoing quality.
- Work with change control team to coordinate deviations and issue change requests if changes are implemented. Work with design team to develop improved designs to error proof processes.
- Live, promote and support the Appliance Performance System (APS) philosophy and drive continuous improvement in the quality area.
- Analyze data as part of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and implement escalation plans as required by MCI/MCP. Create SPC for key metrics per the MCP. Monitor data trends and identify root cause if out of control and lead corrective actions.
- Lead or participate in audits to the MCP for assigned areas. Drive closure / resolution to noted deficiencies.
- Coach Team Members to ensure escalation and response / CAR / continuous improvement processes are followed for quality-related issues.
What you need to Succeed
- Engineering degree in Mechanical / Industrial Engineering (Masters preferred)
- 5+ Years of successful experience in Manufacturing Quality, focused on providing operational support to support or assembly operations
- Previous front-line leadership, including demonstration of goal setting for team, monitoring of performance v goals and a strong feedback / development / accountability cycle
- Ability to work within large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members).
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated experience as a hands-on problem solver.
- Quality Leadership experience
- Experience & training in Lean manufacturing practices
- Prior experience in a union environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Quality assurance experience (SPC, trend analysis, root cause, poke-yoke)
- Travel to suppliers and other manufacturing locations as needed
- Weekend work may be required as needed.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.