Louisville, KY, United States
| Manufacturing (Group)
| ID: REQ-9595
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
The Appliance Park EHS Specialist position is an individual contributor role that will report directly to the Appliance Park EHS Director. This role will support all operations located at the Appliance Park, Louisville, KY location during off-shift hours. Responsibilities for this 7,000-person, 720-acre location include ensuring compliance, assessing and mitigating risk, responding to emergencies, completing EHS recordkeeping, supporting injury and accident investigations, conducting ergonomic assessments, filing EHS records, executing compliance assurance program tasks (e.g., conducting audits and inspections), performing environmental inspections, and presenting EHS compliance training. This role will work closely with operators, technicians, and skilled trades employees and their supervisors to develop a robust EHS culture and reliable processes.
What you will Do
- Provide functional EHS support to all Appliance Park site Operations teams based on compliance requirements, risk profile, change management needs, and performance objectives.
- Utilize engineering controls to eliminate hazards that cause or have the potential to cause injuries and incidents.
- Assist operational teams in annual self-assessments of GEA EHS Management System elements.
- Deliver simple, strong, and sustainable compliance and risk management solutions that are integrated in daily site operations and business lean enterprise strategy.
- Work with laundry, dishwasher, plastics and refrigerator plants and support each site-specific injury reduction and EHS risk management plan, ensuring alignment with the overall Appliance Park strategy. Work with the Appliance Park EHS Director to integrate the actions required to achieve sustainable injury reduction results in Appliance Park’s operational excellence goals and metrics.
- Use data analytics and partner cross-functionally to analyze trends and identify strategic business opportunities that may not be readily visible using only anecdotal levels of feedback. Learn how to use the business EHS management system (i.e., Gensuite).
- Support execution of annual site EHS training plan. Ensure timely delivery of training including new regulations and standards.
- Support site environmental compliance as applicable (e.g., air emissions, water discharge, and waste disposal & recycling). Contribute to site annual environmental reporting obligations as required (e.g., update site inventories).
- Under the direction of the Appliance Park EHS Director, work with stakeholders (e.g., project leaders) and Appliance Park EHS Leaders to support contractor safe work plans, lock out tag out assessments, and new equipment reviews, which may require travel to the equipment manufacturer.
- Respond to employee requests for EHS assistance and evaluation and follow through to implement immediate and longer-term corrective actions.
- Participate in site incident investigations (e.g., injuries, fires, spills) to ensure causal factors are identified, prevention steps are taken and validated, and lessons learned are shared and leveraged in a timely manner. Learn and apply Human and Organizational Performance (HOP) principles.
Culture and Communication:
- Drive a collaborative, problem-solving culture that supports open reporting and sustainable achievement of business results.
- Provide excellent customer service and be a technical resource for the operations team to ensure compliance with regulatory and business requirements. Respond to questions and/or concerns with timely, accurate responses.
- Work with the site operations team to drive a culture of problem resolution and execute initiatives in the site’s annual EHS operating plan.
Management Systems and Compliance:
- Implement EHS management systems, processes, and procedures to achieve sustainable compliance and business performance results. Integrate EHS management tools in the lean enterprise operating processes. Drive for solutions that address both short-term operational risks and long-term environmental liability management.
- Drive standardization across the operation for management of change and high-risk processes including but not limited to overhead cranes, lock out tag out, and ergonomics
What you need to Succeed
- Ability to identify problems accurately, develop appropriate alternatives, and work in a team-based environment to implement practical and effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Ability to provide clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage concurrent assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional team environment and influence/drive change.
- Proven record of problem solving, results and accomplishments.
- Minimum 1 - 2 years of EHS experience - implementing environmental, safety, and or ergonomics compliance programs.
- BS or BA Degree in Engineering, Occupational Safety & Health, Environmental Science, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering or related discipline/experience.
- Legal authorization to work in the country/region where the business is hiring is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
- Master's degree in an EHS discipline.
- Strong knowledge of OSHA, DOT HMT, EPA regulations.
- Experience working with Union workforce.
- Knowledge and application of the principals of LEAN manufacturing, and six sigma.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Audit experience or qualifications.
- Working conditions are normal for a manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
- Requires frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
- Travel may be required: 10%.
- Hours & Weekends: This position will help support off-shift hours. Hours will generally be:
- Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 3pm – 12am.
- Friday 10:30am – 7:30pm.
- Either Thursday 3pm – 12am or Saturday 7:30am – 3:30pm depending on production schedules.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social