Sr. Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
Louisville, KY, United States
| ID: REQ-9635
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Sr. Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
The Sr. Advanced Manufacturing Engineer (AME) will be a member of the Plastics Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME) team. The Plastic Molding AME Team owns & maintains the engineering standards for plastic injection mold tooling & equipment. The AME is responsible for managing & executing plastic injection molding capital equipment and manufacturing process projects for new product(s).
What you will Do
- Manage large plastic injection molding presses & auxiliary equipment procurement projects: including specification development utilizing GE standards, supplier selection, early supplier engagement, technical reviews, factory layout development, installation and qualification of equipment. Ensure all equipment is reliable and robust and designed to maximize Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE).
- Strong knowledge of assembly equipment automation including PLC programming and robotics.
- Act as a key liaison between the program & the plant operations teams; ensuring plant priorities & objectives are clearly understood & considered.
- Own the program metrics as applicable to your assigned projects: manufacturing labor plan (VLOH), equipment budgets, quality of in-house manufactured parts/product and schedule achievement. Work with the program team to perform trade-off analysis on competing metrics if necessary and drive decisions based on overall business impact.
- Comply with EHS and ergonomic requirements; utilize Human Organizational Performance (HOP) principles to ensure that all equipment / tooling / processes are implemented with the health and safety of the operators in mind.
- Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation setup, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment are designed.
- Work with the Factory Information System (FIS) team to ensure equipment is integrated into the FIS infrastructure prior to production and generating accurate data information.
- As a senior professional, will be expected to manage multiple projects and/or provide leadership for larger equipment projects. Be able to analyze parts and determine best molding process and make recommendations for part / process changes to optimize part cost & process performance.
- Provide guidance, mentoring, training and leadership for more junior engineers and/or cross-functional team members with regard to equipment design and execution.
What you need to Succeed
- Technical Degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 7 years hands on experience in manufacturing equipment procurement and process development.
- Experience managing large capital equipment procurement projects. Specifically for plastic injection molding presses, including servo/electric and hydraulic presses.
- Experience in press auxiliary equipment (e.g. part removal, EOAT/robotics, part conveyance, loading systems, dryers, tower/chilled water, quick mold change devices, etc.).
- Experience must include specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, installation and qualification of equipment.
- Ability to develop press motion limits including part removal automation requirements.
- Ability to develop press force (tonnage), platen size and injection pressures for applications.
- Ability to develop infrastructure requirements (foundation, electrical loads, air consumption, etc).
- Working knowledge of plastics material and additives to determine screw type / machine considerations (amorphous / semi-crystalline / PVC / glass filled / colorants / regrind).
- Ability to develop press sequences to match production requirements (shot size, screw recovery, residency time, injection speeds / shear rates / pressures, intensification ratios, core movements, ejection requirements, etc.).
- Prior experience in a large scale manufacturing environment.
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members).
- Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company.
- Significant travel may be required during equipment runoff at suppliers.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social