USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Appliance Park Environmental Leader
The Appliance Park Environmental Leader (EHS Senior Manager) is a senior EHS role responsible for ensuring environmental compliance and providing operational leadership and support to all operations located at the Appliance Park, Louisville, KY location. Responsibilities for this 7,000-person, 780-acre location also include assessing and mitigating risk, responding to emergencies, and managing short-term and long-term EHS liability.
Key responsibilities include negotiating environmental permit conditions and ensuring environmental permit compliance, developing and implementing business environmental standards and management systems; supporting business change management needs, developing and implementing business practices that minimize impact to the environment, leading, training, coaching, and mentoring the Appliance Park EHS team to support environmental compliance operations; communicating internally and externally on behalf of the business and function; and driving a collaborative, problem-solving culture that supports open reporting and delivers business results.
What you will Do
Environmental Compliance Operations: Provide leadership and technical expertise to support business needs based on compliance requirements, business risk profile, change management needs, environmental sustainability, and performance objectives.
- Develop and implement simple, strong, and sustainable environmental compliance and risk management standards and processes that are integrated in daily business operations including but not limited to air emission controls, wastewater and stormwater management, and waste and recycling operations.
- Use engineering controls to eliminate hazards that cause environmental incidents. Drive EHS culture and accountability through proactive planning, execution and measurement, communication and best practice sharing.
- Prepare timely environmental permit applications and modifications as required.
- Develop and implement a system to maintain required environmental records. Update as necessary.
- Prepare, review with stakeholders, and submit all required Appliance Park environmental reports required by a federal, state, or local law, regulation, or permit.
- Collect routine stormwater, wastewater, and waste samples for regulated constituent analyses and characterization.
- Perform inspections related to SPCC, SWPPP, and hazardous waste storage areas.
- Provide environmental oversight of demolition and tear-out projects.
- Provide strategic and tactical input on proposals and projects regarding environmental requirements, permit requirements, limits and/or impacts.
- Review collected data as required to ensure that air emissions and permitting requirements are met.
- Perform environmental audits of various manufacturing and support operations.
- Use data analytics to evaluate environmental performance and risks, analyze trends, and identify strategic business opportunities that may not be readily visible using only anecdotal levels of feedback.
- Maintain and improve sustainability initiatives as dictated by business Operations Sustainability team and support individual site issues and projects.
- Support and learn from incident investigations and leverage enterprise-wide solutions. Lead, mentor, and participate in all A- and B-level event and incident investigations (e.g., fatalities, amputations, reportable spills) to ensure causal factors are identified, prevention steps are taken and validated, and lessons learned are shared and leveraged in a timely manner.
- Use human and organizational performance methods to identify environmental risks and develop sustainable solutions with cross-functional partners.
- Provide expert advice, guidance, and direct assistance to ensure site compliance with local, state, and federal environmental regulations, guidelines, and permit requirements.
Management Systems and Compliance:
- Maintain in-depth knowledge on federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Implement environmental management systems (EMS), processes, and procedures to achieve sustainable compliance and business performance results. Support Appliance Park’s ISO 14001 certification by supporting external ISO 14001 audits, completing internal ISO 14001 audits, and managing outstanding audit findings and tracking them to closure.
Culture and Communication:
- Drive a collaborative, problem-solving culture that supports open reporting and sustainable achievement of business results. Respond to questions and/or concerns received from internal and external stakeholders. Ensure timely, accurate responses.
- Develop and maintain excellent internal and external stakeholder relationships (e.g., regulatory agencies, Plant Managers, Operations and Engineering Leaders).
- Participate in local environmental steering committees and attend regulator meetings as necessary.
- Provide technical comments to proposed regulations, as necessary.
What you need to Succeed
- Demonstrated knowledge of EHS regulations and their application in manufacturing, budgeting and resource planning, change management processes, and contractor management.
- Expertise related to regulated air emissions is required; experience and a thorough understanding of the following regulatory areas is necessary:
- Title V operating permit program
- NESHAP/MACT standards
- NSPS rules
- NSR/PSD and state/local construction permitting requirements
- GHG permitting and reporting
- ODS requirements
- BACT analyses
- Stormwater, wastewater, hazardous and non-hazardous waste, SPCC, EPCRA (Tier II and TRI), TSCA, and HMT.
- Working knowledge of the legislation, legal regulations, and industry codes.
- Ability to create a vision and develop strategies to implement the vision.
- Excellent leadership, program management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work a clear and measurable set of deliverables using own initiative.
- Competent to analyze data, draw conclusions, develop an action plan, and ensure sustainable execution.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Experience responding to emergency situations such as fires, spills, and injuries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organization, project management, and presentation skills. Ability to interact with all levels of business and with external stakeholders.
- Proven record of problem solving and achieving sustainable performance results.
- Ability to mentor and coach other EHS professionals.
- BS or BA Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Occupational Safety & Health, or related discipline/experience.
- 10+ years of EHS experience leading and implementing environmental compliance and risk management programs with demonstrated sustainable results.
- Legal authorization to work in the country/region where the business is hiring is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
- Master's degree in engineering, environmental science, or related discipline from an accredited university.
- CHMM or related certification.
- Experience with the Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District.
- Knowledge of air dispersion modeling.
- Experience working with Union workforce.
- Advanced computer skills, including strong data analysis skills.
- Six Sigma Green belt or Black belt certified.
- Working conditions are normal for a manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment including but not limited to safety glasses, hearing protection, steel-toed work boots, and hardhat.
- These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
- Travel may be required: 10% - 20%.
- Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends may be required.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.