This job posting is no longer active.
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Principal Material Excellence Engineer - Lean Material Flow
The Principal - Material Excellence will be a member of the AME (Advanced Manufacturing Engineering) Central Materials team. The position will support the development and implementation of best practices for production control and material handling based upon lean material flow principles.
What you will Do
What You Will Do:
- Develop a materials excellence strategy by working with plants and other stakeholders. Strategy should be based upon lean best practices and be inclusive form the supplier to the line side presentation.
- Strategy will include warehouse functionality, inventory control, production and material control systems, packaging and standard work.
- Create presentations and training material to support the strategy.
- Develop an audit process for confirmation of the strategy.
- Audit plants on materials excellence.
- Benchmark other industries and technology to continually improve the materials excellence road map.
- Support Factory Master Plans by ensuring material flow is being considered at each phase.
- Work with IT and Central Materials Engineering to develop best in class replenishment systems.
- Metric development and maintaining data.
Standards and Compliance:
- Consider ergonomics, EHS and sustainability when developing the standards.
- Utilize GEA documentation standards and consider ISO for the strategy.
- Promote visual management tools such as department communications & metrics boards.
- Utilize standard work as a basis for continuous improvement.
Cross-functional Work and Leadership:
- Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how the strategy impacts the factory.
- Ensure material flow, workstation setup, model mix, etc. are considered to optimize the work content for all elements.
- Develop a solid working relationship with Material Management leadership at all facilities supported.
- Work cross functionally to eliminate waste in the supply chain including the integration of material automation with manufacturing processes.
- Utilize technical and project experience to add to the APS (Appliance Production System) and AME teams’ body of knowledge to steer continuous improvement throughout the organization and company.
What you need to Succeed
What You Need to Succeed:
- Prior relevant military service will be considered in relation to required/desired qualifications.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related field.
- 7+ years' hands on experience with manufacturing, logistics or supply chain including experience in Lean Manufacturing production method
- Be able to implement lean/synchronous material flow and Kanban from material receiving to assembly.
- Understand and have experience with and be able to develop value stream maps.
- Proven computer knowledge including ERP systems, Electronic Kanban, Access, Project, and MS Office
- An in-depth understanding of lean methodologies and deployment of lean.
- Have a proven record of successful Lean implementation accomplishments relating to production control, logistics and material flow.
- Exceptional record of accomplishment leading, developing and motivating cross-functional teams within an organization.
- Successfully design, develop and implement Lean capabilities within the company, cultivating a sustained kaizen culture from shop floor to executive management.
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
- Good oral and written communication skills – will be expected to provide status report outs to cross-functional team and train Materials Teams.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to steer decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
- Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Engineering: Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- Very creative talent with a proven ability to look past what is currently done and develop a practical, implementable vision for future with a solid history of executing to vision.
- Previous experience with plant launches or factory master planning of brownfields
- Prior NPI program experience
- Lean certification
- Working conditions are normal for a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
- These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environments.
- Hours & Weekends: Regular working hours. Working off-shift and weekends will be required during peak project times.
- 30-40% travel may be for domestic and/or international travel to supplier sites/ plants, etc.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.