Sr. Tooling Engineer Metals
LaFayette, GA, United States
| ID: REQ-9769
USA, LaFayette, GA
Job Posting Title
Sr. Tooling Engineer Metals
The Tooling Engineer will be responsible for managing and executing tooling and metal stamping equipment projects, ensuring that all tooling and equipment are compliant with standards and executed within the project or program deliverables (cost, quality and delivery).
What you will Do
- Analyze sheet metal part designs utilizing CAE solutions (e.g. Autoform) to predict part processing and performance. Work with the product design team, providing upfront engineering support, to ensure Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) is considered on part design. Provide design recommendations to both part and tooling changes to improve performance.
- Develop robust Die Operational Lineups (DOL) that meets product and operational requirements for in-house tooling. Collaborate with direct material supplier and tool shops to ensure external tooling meets or exceeds GE standards. Provide recommendations as required.
- Support Tooling Engineers as required during the tool procurement and execution process to ensure successful runoffs and transitions to production.
- Provide estimated tooling costs to program team members and assist in Make versus Buy analysis on stamping and secondary processes. Work with the program team to perform trade-off analysis on competing metrics if necessary and drive decisions based on overall business impact.
- Participate in required 9-Step Process events for part and tooling design; consult with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure development of robust processes for part / product generation. Work with cross-functional team to develop Manufacturing Control Plans (MCP) and Manufacturing Control Instructions (MCI).
- Liaise with Product Design and Industrial Design teams in support of developing craftsmanship procedures that produce expected results within the metal stamping and fabrication design activities.
- Assist process engineers in root causing and developing solutions for ongoing production issues / inefficiencies. Work with direct material part suppliers and Supplier Quality Engineers in root causing and developing solutions for ongoing production issues / inefficiencies.
- As a senior professional, will be expected to manage multiple projects and/or provide leadership for larger tooling projects. Be able to analyze parts and determine best processes and make recommendations for part / process changes to optimize part cost & process performance.
- Provide guidance, mentoring, training and leadership for more junior tooling engineers and/or cross-functional team members with regard to tooling and part design and execution.
- Utilize technical and project experience to add to the AME teams’ body of knowledge to drive continuous improvement throughout the organization and company.
- Relocation assistance will be provided.
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related fields
- Completion of formal apprenticeship program with Journey Man Tool and Die certification
- Class "A" surface appearance experience
- Experience with progressive, transfer die, fabrication equipment
- Hands on experience in metal stamping equipment, tooling, and processes. Die design / die processing experience.
- Hands on experience to include tool engineering development techniques and simulation products and experience with
- designing dies, including runoff and qualification processes. Autoform simulation experiences a major plus.
- Experience with a variety of steels, coatings and part geometries. Good understanding of metal material properties.
- Understands interaction of all elements of the stamping value stream system (feed line, press, automation, transfers, gaging, fixturing).
- Knowledge of GD&T, gaging and process capability observation and analysis
- 3D modeling experience a must (Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks, etc)
- 2D modeling experience a must (AutoCAD, etc)
- Prior experience in a large scale manufacturing environment
- Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
- Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
- Travel Required (15% - 20%)
- Highly preferred candidates have advanced Engineering degree and have submitted new Stamping/Forming/Fabrication/Die Design processes or manufacturing equipment for patent.
- Prior NPI program experience
- Proficient in MS Office suite including MS Scheduler (or equivalent)
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social