USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Material Planner- 1st shift
As a Materials Planner, you'll be an essential part of the manufacturing team!
You'll confirm the flow of materials needed for short-term manufacturing operations while managing long-term supply chain issues. Work both as part of a team and independently in a variety of settings. You'll manage the USA and International value stream from supplier to dock. You'll own supply chain communications and handoff to the plant team to ensure no disruption to plant operations.
Material Planners are also responsible for communicating cross-functionally with different departments, internal and external customers/suppliers, and helping execute production schedules.
What you will Do
- Ensure overall part availability for manufacturing operation.
- Manage material flow for the plants suppliers to maintain product availability and schedule achievement goals.
- Manage daily production requirements received from plant Master Scheduler.
- Line up receiving docks. Communicate and prioritize trailers.
- Verify purchase part availability for the current production day.
- Review for immediate part shortages; conduct physical sweeps of hot parts in the supermarket and at the production line as needed.
- Respond to issues throughout the day from plant operations.
- Coordinate and expedite movement of material deliveries as needed.
- Communicate with suppliers regarding shortages, overall part availability and future state production needs.
- Work with quality team to ensure proper inventory coverage when parts are rejected from working inventory.
Part Portfolio Management
- Ensure inventory quantities, e-packing slips and receipts are accurate and maintained in a timely manner.
- Conduct ongoing cycle counts of parts. Reconcile physical inventory vs. parts system.
- Own management of part parameters such as safety stock, lead time, etc. within the ERP System.
- Resolve supplier issues and inventory surplus/deficits as required.
- Improve material availability to support production and customer requirements through corrective actions for availability/span issues, improved supplier response times, transportation planning, and inventory management.
- Drive inventory reduction through improved material planning, supplier cycle reductions, work-in-process improvements, vendor-managed inventory, etc.
- Support plant and product variable cost productivity initiatives.
Part Change Management
- Manage build-out process for supplier changes, including manual part ordering.
- Manage the depletion of safety stock, wind down orders, and conduct final part counts.
- Coordinate part rework events and determine the course of action.
- During new product introduction (NPI) events, communicate with supplier to set up lead times, delivery dates, safety stock for a new part.
Other related duties as assigned
- Perform safety audits and assignments related to plant materials safety.
What you need to Succeed
Skills, Knowledge , or Educations Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain, engineering, or other relevant fields of study.
- Prior manufacturing experience.
- Proficiency with Excel.
- Supplier management experience and project implementation.
- Strong systems capabilities.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Customer focus, high energy, and aggressive approach to issues.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks.
- 5+ years of materials management experience within a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong systems capabilities, including MRP/ERP systems and intermediate MS Word/Excel.
- Understanding and prior usage/application of lean manufacturing principles.
- Excellent presentation skills and solid verbal/written communication skills.
- APICS certification.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.