Senior Advanced Manufacturing Engineer - Controls
LaFayette, GA, United States
| ID: REQ-10106
USA, LaFayette, GA
Job Posting Title
Senior Advanced Manufacturing Engineer - Controls
This Senior AME - Controls role will be a member of the Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME) Test and Controls team responsible for the advancement of machine controls, machine safety, and related automation work for the company. Controls Engineering experts who are passionate about leading edge, highly innovative machine controls technologies, with knowledge of Press and Fabrication Equipment needed. This role is responsible for the full project lifecycle ownership of electrical and Automation RTP (run the plant) and/or NPI (new product introduction) equipment projects, executed to deliverables of SQCD (Safety, Quality, Cost, & Delivery). As a key liaison, this role is responsible for ensuring plant & project prioritized objectives are clearly understood and considered. This critical position is crucial to continuing successful launches of Connected Home appliances and to re-shoring of manufacturing to the US.
What you will Do
- Champion controls system designs that utilize technologies based on corporate standards.
- Review and or provide specification language related to machine control systems.
- Evaluate new technologies to determine appropriate inclusion in corporate standards.
- Utilize your domain expertise in the application and use of Control and Automation technology for capital equipment projects.
- Act as a liaison who preserves successful communication with the plants, project team, system integrators and internal clients.
- Develop PLC & HMI programs.
- Observe safety and security procedures; report potentially unsafe conditions; use equipment and materials properly; act as a role model with regard to machine safety and safe work practices.
- Lead equipment suppliers in conducting machine safety risk assessment(s) for new and modified equipment.
- Confirm safety systems on new equipment meet the required category and performance level, as determined by the machine safety risk assessment.
- Experience managing Controls for capital equipment procurement projects: Including specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, installation and qualification of equipment.
- Experience with Allen Bradley PLC based equipment including hardware and logic design and maintenance, networking, integration with pneumatic, hydraulic, and servo motion systems.
- Prior experience in a fast cycle, large-scale manufacturing environment.
- Experience with Lean manufacturing principles.
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent hands on experience in technical/manufacturing disciplines.
- 4+ years hands on & relevant controls engineering experience with knowledge of automated manufacturing equipment, presses, and fabrication equipment.
- Familiarity with machine safety risk assessments, machine safety design requirements.
- Computer literate and skilled in MS Office and Windows including network functions.
- Skilled knowledge of controls software (Studio 5000, FactoryTalk View) and coding structure for ladder logic, structured text and function block diagram.
- Very creative Engineer with a proven ability to look past current state to develop a practical, implementable vision for future systems with a strong history of executing to vision.
- BS/MS degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Experience with assembly line design, automation and customized fabrication equipment and manufacturing processes.
- Hands on experience in designing and operation of multiple axis automation equipment and/ or robotics.
- Knowledge/Experience with additional PLC platforms (GE/Emerson, Siemens, Beckhoff).
- Training in machine safety (Certified Machine Safety Expert, Certified Functional Safety Technician, etc.).
- Prior NPI program experience.
- Proficient in MS Project (or equivalent) and AutoCAD.
- This role involves frequent interaction with operations personnel including facilities engineers, maintenance, team leaders, operators, etc.
- 20-30% travel may be for domestic and/or international travel to supplier sites/ plants, etc.
- Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends will be required during peak project points.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes, and hardhats.
- Working conditions are normal for a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
- This role will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social