Senior Quality Improvement Engineer
Louisville, KY, United States
| ID: REQ-11034
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Senior Quality Improvement Engineer
The Senior Quality Improvement Engineer (QIE) executes operational and strategic efforts focused on product quality improvement, with primary oversight of the product/component testing and manufacturing control plan (MCP) auditing processes in an assigned manufacturing area.
What you will Do
- Collaborate with factory operations team to improve product quality through the identification and elimination of root cause of issues. Utilize Lean manufacturing concepts to facilitate the success and validation of manufacturing processes. Communicate opportunities and project status with Quality Subsystem Leader (QSL) and cross-functionally.
- Respond to abnormalities in product and component testing results.
- Coach Team Leaders to ensure escalation processes are followed for quality-related issues.
- Partner with plant operations personnel to promote a team that reacts aggressively to factory inefficiencies, and escalates issues as necessary, to drive their resolution.
- Live, promote and support the Appliance Performance System (APS) philosophy and drive continuous improvement in the quality area.
- Work with QSL to drive selection of Critical to Quality characteristics (CTQs) to the vital few. Implement the appropriate measurement method on selected CTQs.
- Work with QSL to determine projects & quarterly goals to improve yield, scrap, SCR and other COQ’s.
- Work with QSL and PIE’s to prioritize funding/resources.
- Support workstation documentation process; create, update and maintain Manufacturing Control Instructions (MCI’s), visual aid and alerts (single point lessons) as needed.
- Provide guidance to the broad New Product Introduction (NPI) team regarding manufacturing process capabilities for application to new designs, processes, or geometries. Evaluate and implement new testing technologies to support new product innovations, while improving outgoing quality.
- Own all aspects of the assembly quality process, including data analysis to drive yield, COQ and scrap metrics as defined in goals & objectives. Drive escalation of product, process, and part issues. Ensure MCI/MCP is followed and audit the test process & the pass/fail limits. Work with the PIE’s and Technology to drive immediate actions/projects to improve metrics.
- Oversee calibration and PM of process validation of test equipment and gauges. Oversee maintenance of all test equipment including CMM, if applicable.
- Work with Change Control Team to coordinate deviations and issue BCR if changes are implemented.
- Provide technical ownership to drive the development, procurement and implementation of factory quality measurement systems including gaging, test equipment, go/no-go decisions, and coordinate measurement (CMM) test systems.
- Analyze data as part of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and implement escalation plans as required by MCI/MCP. Create SPC for key metrics per the MCP. Monitor data trends and identify root cause if out of control and lead corrective actions.
- Support the ongoing calibration, troubleshooting, spare part requirements and preventative maintenance of procured equipment/gauges.
- Serve as back-up to QSL as BCR approver.
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related fields.
- Computer literate and skilled in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Auto Cad, Minitab and Outlook.
- Ability to work within large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members).
- Experience in development or sustaining of instrumented electromechanical equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum 5 years recent experience gained in a high-volume manufacturing/operation, or quality role.
- Six Sigma Certified
- Quality Leadership experience
- Lean Manufacturing experience
- Experience in appliance or similar high-volume manufacturing processes
- Travel to suppliers and other manufacturing locations as needed
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social