This job posting is no longer active.
USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Senior Cost Engineer - Sheet Metal & Extrusions
The Senior Cost Engineer is responsible for developing accurate and complete should costs models for GE Appliances’ sheet metal and metal extrusion parts, using a should costing software program and by applying their prior experience and knowledge of sheet metal fabrication and forming and metal extrusion. In conjunction, this individual will continue to influence future updates and releases of the should cost software program using their experience and knowledge.
What you will Do
- Responsible for component cost analysis throughout program life.
- Establish part should cost and tooling cost targets for sheet metal and metal extruded parts to support engineering and sourcing / purchasing throughout the design and sourcing processes.
- Provide subject matter expertise to support engineering and sourcing on sheet metal and metal extrusion part cost. Offer alternatives (design and process) based on experience and outputs from software program, including DFA / DFM.
- Assist in analyzing supplier quotes when needed in order to reach an agreement on appropriate should cost and tooling cost targets using the should cost software program.
- Research the cost structure (including materials and manufacturing methods) used with sheet metal and metal extrusion parts, as needed.
- Support continuous improvement of estimating techniques used on sheet metal and metal extrusion parts and to influence the should costing software program.
- Work with various cross functional teams to utilize material cost/design knowledge to improve the cost position of sheet metal and metal extrusion parts and to identify cost savings opportunities.
What you need to Succeed
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (mechanical, electrical, industrial) or related technical discipline.
5 years of experience in engineering or related field.
Demonstrated hands-on knowledge and familiarity of sheet metal fabrication manufacturing processes.
Proficient analytical skills. Must have the ability to examine and interpret technical data.
Understand the elements of part cost and investment for various manufacturing processing typical in the production of sheet metal parts.
Demonstrates initiative and takes action proactively. Possesses the self-discipline to take actions before they are necessary, optimism towards achieving positive outcome and the competitiveness to translate a plan into action.
Solid interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills. Ability to distill complex technical information into a concise, clear message.
Proficient computer skills: Must be adept in Microsoft Office (especially Excel).
Must possess the ability to learn specialized computer applications as necessary for the position (Windchill, Should Cost software such as aPriori).
Ability to work under deadlines.
Master’s Degree in Engineering and/or Business Administration.
Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering experience.
Demonstrated hands-on knowledge of metal extrusion manufacturing methods.
Cost management certification
Solid ability to use and demonstrate statistical and problem-solving tools.
Prior experience in a Sourcing/ Procurement role with demonstrated experience in supplier management and negotiation.
Knowledge of sheet metal tooling design.
Knowledge and experience of secondary processes (ie. painting, plating, etc…) and innovative processes required to achieve consumer-facing aesthetic requirements
Green Belt or Black Belt Certified.
GE Appliances is a trust-based organization. It is important we offer our employees the flexibility they need to do their best work while balancing the needs of the business and individuals. When you join GEA, you will have the opportunity to work with your leader to create a flexible work arrangement that balances the needs of the individual, team, and organization.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.