Area Leader/Supervisor (2nd Shift)
Decatur, AL, United States
| Manufacturing (Group)
| ID: REQ-12315
USA, Decatur, AL
Job Posting Title
Area Leader/Supervisor (2nd Shift)
Lead, coach and direct the activities and employees, including Team Leaders and production team members, in a specific manufacturing area within a value stream to ensure high performance and continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
What you will Do
LEADERSHIP & ADMINISTRATION: Provide proactive leadership daily, work direction and support for employees and other direct reports within a production area.
- Lead and motivate employees with assistance from HR to ensure fair and consistent administration of all policies, work rules and processes.
- Build and reinforce a positive culture in alignment with our GEA values for all employees and temporary associates within the team. Ensure fair and equal compliance to HR policies.
- Effectively communicate expectations and provide feedback to employees regarding performance in safety, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Oversee line staffing and allocate employees to cover absenteeism.
- Complete job postings as needed.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: Live, promote and teach the Appliance Production System philosophy and drive continuous improvement within assigned production area.
- Lead work team to react aggressively to factory inefficiencies. Drive problem-solving and root cause identification of problems for the production area. Engage all members of escalation team to address and resolve problems, ex. PIE, quality, facilities engineer, etc.
- Support the Business Leader in managing a cross-functional team (PIE’s, Team Leaders, Kaizen Promotion Officers and other Lean resources) to continuously identify and work to reduce waste in the area for both short term and long-term improvement initiatives.
- Serve as a first responder within the escalation process for problems/issues within the value stream operation.
- Participate in meetings to review department issues. Assist in prioritizing and assigning ownership for open items in assigned production area. Track items to closure and ensure follow-up with key stakeholders.
- Champion kaizen events within department. Ensure related countermeasures are implemented on manufacturing line(s).
- Participate in the planning and execution of work area rebalancing utilizing Yamazumi charts.
QUALITY: Ensure the product produced on manufacturing line is defect-free and produced according to specification.
- Ensure all quality processes/standards are followed within assigned production area.
- Monitor quality issues on a daily basis and drives the resolution or escalation for any defect.
- Ensure Team Leaders include quality standards in Standardized Work to meet design intent and build in quality.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders to address and solve production line quality issues (i.e. Team Leader, engineering, quality).
- Monitor scrap data/reports to drive resolution of scrap issues and work projects to prevent future scrap.
- Partner with Plant Quality and Engineering staff to drive improvements in First Pass Yield and Service Call Rate (SCR) metrics.
SAFETY: Responsible for the safety performance and metrics for the production area.
- Promote safety culture and ensure team’s compliance with safety rules and procedures, such as: PPE compliance, accident investigation within 24 hours, Safety Contacts and safe start participation.
- Lead and own accident investigation process to identify root cause and drive required corrective action(s). Log and close accident investigations in a timely manner.
- Manage the department's safety action item list, including corrective actions from near misses, accident reports & ergo assessments.
MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS: Provides support to the value stream Business Leader by leading the operational and improvement activities of an assigned production area within the value stream.
- Supervise the daily activities of Team Leaders & Production team members in an assigned area required to meet production with emphasis on positive employee relations and safety, and in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for operational performance and improvement of key metrics including safety, quality, delivery, cost and morale. Align area metrics with overall department/value stream goals; organize resources to deliver on these metrics.
- Oversee the daily start-up of production area. Ensure line is properly staffed and manage staffing throughout the day; monitor expected and unexpected absenteeism. Review daily plan with Team Leaders.
- Ensure production line boards are completed in a timely manner. Utilize production line boards to collect information on area performance, issue identification and problem resolution. Ensure information is passed on to the following shift and management.
- Maintain a good technical knowledge of operations; follow the escalation process to address and respond to abnormalities and recommend corrective action as required.
- Act as a first responder to Team Leaders and production team members within the production area. Facilitate delegation of issues to appropriate level in escalation process.
- Ensure the Lean manufacturing practices and Escalation Process set forth under the Appliance Production System are followed and adhered to within the value stream manufacturing operations.
- Attend daily production meetings and cascade necessary information to Team Leaders. Lead and maintain rigor around daily Team Leader meetings, escalation meetings, etc. Communicate key issues to leadership team at the daily production meeting.
- Oversee the deployment of standardized work within the value stream operation. Ensure process stability through following standardized work. Coach and develop Team Leaders and team members to ensure standardized work is in place and is followed.
- Ensure adherence to Job Instruction method by reviewing and verifying Job Instruction forms, including cross training matrix, and Team Leader delivery of four step method to ensure ‘Critical Points’ and ‘Why’ are conveyed accurately and effectively.
- Ensure 5S standards are met for the area.
What you need to Succeed
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social