USA, Louisville, KY
Job Posting Title
Senior Manager, Manufacturing Operations (AP1 Paint & Pedestal)
Responsible for the overall operational plan, performance and improvement of an entire value stream operation within a manufacturing facility. Develop, lead and coach salaried and hourly team members to achieve high performance in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
This role will serve as BL and PIE for AP1 Paint and Pedestal continuous operations for Louisville, KY.
What you will Do
MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS: Oversees manufacturing operations for an entire value stream within the plant.
- Own and prepare the annual operational plan/playbook for a manufacturing value stream. Responsible for operational performance and improvement of key metrics including safety, quality, delivery, cost and culture. Align area metrics with overall plant goals; organize resources to deliver on these metrics.
- Lead activities of cross-functional manufacturing team, to include responsibility for salaried and hourly team members within the assigned business unit. Direct Reports include the following: Manager, Manufacturing Operations (ABL’s) and Process Improvement Engineer (PIE).
- Maintain a good technical knowledge of operations, establish daily operating rhythm in department. Own value stream performance and progress, department metrics, budget, issue identification, escalations, and problem resolution.
- Ensure the Lean manufacturing practices and Escalation Process set forth under the Appliance Production System are followed and adhered to within the value stream manufacturing operations.
- Oversee the deployment of standardized work and 5S within the value stream operation. Ensure process stability through the utilization of standardized work.
- Ensure adherence to Job Instruction method by reviewing and verifying Job Instruction forms, including cross training matrix, and Team Leader delivery of four step method to ensure ‘Critical Points’ and ‘Why’ are conveyed accurately and effectively.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: Live, promote and teach the Appliance Production System philosophy and drive continuous improvement within the value stream operation.
- Lead and promote work team(s) that react aggressively to factory inefficiencies. Drive problem-solving and root cause identification of problems for the entire value stream.
- Engage all members of cross-functional escalation team to address and resolve problems, ex. Area Business Leaders, Team Leaders, Kaizen Promotion Officers and other Lean resources
- Continuously identify and work to reduce waste in the area for both short term and long term improvement initiatives. Lead regular meetings to review department issues. Prioritize and assign ownership for open items. Track items to closure and ensure follow-up with key stakeholders.
LEADERSHIP. Provide active day-to-day leadership for a highly energized, integrated, cross-functional manufacturing team.
- Challenge and inspire direct reports to achieve business results. Provide leadership, coaching, and development that aligns with organizational goals and objectives. Hold individuals accountable and recognize accomplishments.
- Find and develop diverse talent, diversity of thought, and team capability to aligns with strategy, tools and processes. Encourage and promote individual differences to enhance discussions, decisions, and results.
- Develop and ensure employee capability through performance management processes, talent reviews, training and development and effective staffing decisions.
QUALITY: Ensure the products produced within the entire value stream operation are defect-free and produced according to specifications.
- Ensure Manufacturing Control Plan (MCP) and all quality processes/standards are followed within the value stream. Partner with Plant Quality staff and engineering to drive improvements in key quality metrics, including First Pass Yield, Overall Yield and Service Call Rate (SCR) metrics.
- Monitor manufacturing processes and drive escalation and resolution of any defect or production line quality issues
- Monitor scrap data/reports to drive resolution of scrap issues and work projects to prevent future scrap.
SAFETY: Responsible for the overall safety performance and metrics for the value stream operation.
- Promote a strong safety-minded culture in the value stream. Maintain an active safety program, ensuring the observation of safety precautions and safe work methods by all personnel, including behavior-based safety observations, safety meetings, safety audits and 5S housekeeping standards.
- Enforce compliance to safety rules and procedures, timely accident investigations, Safety Contacts and Safe Start participation.
- Manage the value stream 's accident investigations and safety action item list, including corrective actions from near misses, accident reports & ergo assessments.
What you need to Succeed
- 5 years leadership experience and technical acumen within a paint/powder coating manufacturing operation.
- Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree.
- Must have the ability to teach, to facilitate meetings, to provide constructive feedback and listen actively.
- Must be able to identify, analyze and resolve problems in multi-functional settings.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to coach and lead high involvement work teams.
- Demonstrated skills in achievement of business goals and change implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS, BA).
- 7 years of experience within manufacturing/plant operations.
- Black Belt/MBB certification with strong knowledge of Lean, DMAIC, workout and other change mechanisms.
- Demonstrated accomplishments showing results-driven methodology, analytical methods, schedule achievement, and teamwork.
- Lean Manufacturing implementation experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and leadership influencing skills.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.