Sr Advanced Manufacturing Engineer – Controls
Louisville, KY, United States
| ID: REQ-12836
USA, Louisville, KY
USA, LaFayette, GA
Job Posting Title
Sr Advanced Manufacturing Engineer – Controls
This Senior AME role will be a member of the Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME) Test and Controls team. The Test & Controls AME Team owns and maintains the engineering standards for electrical, automation, robot and test equipment for the company. The AME will be responsible for managing and executing electrical and automation equipment projects, ensuring that all procured or modified equipment is compliant with standards and executed within the project or program deliverables (cost, quality and delivery). This AME role will be assigned to New Product Introduction (NPI) programs and/ or Run The Plant (RTP) projects to drive product cost out and factory productivity. The AME will be a key liaison between the project team and the plant operation and manufacturing teams; ensuring that plant priorities and objectives are clearly understood and considered for the area under their ownership.
What you will Do
Provide advanced manufacturing electrical and controls expertise in leading detailed and comprehensive planning for conceptualization, specification, development and implementation of right-sized manufacturing and facility equipment. Responsibilities can extend across all areas of manufacturing and warehouse facilities.
- Manage electrical and control portions of capital equipment expenditures that support new product designs, factory capacity or efficiency additions, and quality improvement goals (typical project scope involves the development of specifications, supplier management, purchase, installation and qualification of the manufacturing equipment).
- Participate within Production Preparation Process (3P) in developing manufacturing tooling, equipment and processes. Utilize cross-functional groups to ensure that the tooling, equipment and processes are compatible with the entire value stream. Efforts should include: right-sized equipment, workstation design, material presentation, standard work and single piece flow. Use data and statistics to characterize delivered manufacturing process capabilities in qualifying the release of processes and equipment.
- Experience managing capital equipment procurement projects: Including specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, installation and qualification of equipment
- Prior experience in a large-scale manufacturing environment
- Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
- Good communication skills – will be expected to provide program report outs to cross-functional team.
- Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
- Incorporate Early Equipment Management practices and hardware as appropriate in all projects
- Ensure adequate training and documentation are provided to plant personnel to ensure self-sufficient operations
Standards and Compliance:
- Ensure all equipment executed in GEA factories comply with Industry (ANSI, ISO, NFPA) and Governmental Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) standards.
- Utilize Human Organizational Performance (HOP) principles to ensure that all equipment and processes are implemented with the health and safety of the operators in mind. Develop mockups and prototypes to validate new designs and test for shop floor confirmation.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure equipment & processes support business initiatives of Lean Manufacturing, Ergonomic Design and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
- Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation set up, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment are designed.
- Investigate new technologies for appliance manufacturing and recommend applicable new technologies to quality and business leaders.
- Deliver guidance to cross-functional team members with regard to electrical, control, safety circuits and robot equipment design and execution.
- Utilize technical and project experience to add to the Test and Control AME teams’ body of knowledge to drive continuous improvement throughout the organization and company.
- Work with design team to ensure Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) is considered on part design.
What you need to Succeed
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent hands on experience in technical/manufacturing/electronic disciplines
- 3+ years hands on & relevant controls engineering experience with electrical, automated manufacturing equipment and processes
- Computer literate and skilled in MS Office, Minitab and Windows including network functions.
- Experience with assembly line design, automation and customized fabrication equipment and manufacturing processes
- Working knowledge of controls software and coding structure for ladder logic, structured text and function blocks
- Hands on experience in designing and operation of multiple axis automation equipment and/ or robots
- BS/MS degree in Electrical Engineering or Electronics is desired
- Prior NPI program experience
- Six Sigma Certification
- Familiarity with controls software, such as, RSLOGIX/STUDIOLOGIX, PROFICY and SIMATIC
- Proficient in MS Office, MS Scheduler (or equivalent) and AutoCAD
- TUV Certification Rheinland FS Technician is a plus
- 30-60% travel may be for domestic and/or international travel to supplier sites/ plants, etc.
- Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends will be required
- Working conditions are normal for a high volume manufacturing environment
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Connect with Us on Social